Orange Cupcakes with Sweetened Condensed Frosting

baking chic May 20, 2013 13

Its been a busy last couple of weeks around here, but even still I can’t seem to stay away from the kitchen. My reason, a little bit of comfort.

My mom surprised me and my sister for a quick visit which was like a piece of heaven reserved for us all, I have still yet to get over her visit and all her love towards us. She showered us with so many treats. Bringing her special bag of presents, overflowing with gifts for the little boys and taking my sister and I shopping with no fear of spending too much on us. Between all the wonderful conversations late at night and the delightful tea parties in the afternoons, the week flew by too fast. I have yet to finish reminiscing those seven days and I hope they will come back soon again. When the day arrived of her departure the only comfort of sending her off was that she and my dad would come back to us in June.

Back to comfort, I found these cupcakes were able to sooth a happy but homesick girl. I like that the recipe calls for only 2 eggs and 4 tablespoons of butter. Butter has been a cherished staple around here so it didn’t seem like too much, but just enough to make these cakes the perfect bite. Our hens having been up and down on the daily quota of eggs, (I think they have misunderstood something in our contract) So eggs have been greatly cherished around here as well. The orange zest is so refreshing as well. The Sweetened Condensed Frosting is dangerously addicting, and you might have to make another batch up because you could easily eat it all by itself.
Hope you enjoy :)
~ Marie

Mini Orange Cupcakes
3/4 cup milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons orange rind
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature

Preheat oven 350
1 Oil or line muffin tins. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.

2 In a separate bowl with an electric mixer cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time until each is well combined. Bring your mixing speed down to low. Add flour mixer in three batches with your milk, alternating with two additions of milk beating until just combined after each.

3 Fill lined cups each three – quarters full.
Bake 10 -12 minutes. Turn cooked cakes out onto wire racks to finish cooling.

Orange Condensed Milk Icing
4 tablespoons 1/2 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
pinch of salt
3/4 cup confectioner sugar
1 tablespoon orange rind

On medium high speed whisk together butter, orange rind, sweetened condensed milk and salt until smooth, whisk in confectioner’s sugar 1/4 cup at a time, whisk until thick and smooth.

Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart’s Cupcakes

1. Ana Fernandez May 21, 2013 at 9:49 am - Reply

Love the condensed milk frosting and the subtle orange. Great blog girl!

• baking chic May 21, 2013 at 11:16 am - Reply

Thanks Anna for stopping by and for your kind words!

• baking chic May 21, 2013 at 11:18 am - Reply

Sorry Ana, I missed-typed your name :)
      xoxoxox

2. Pam May 21, 2013 at 7:11 pm - Reply

I am ready to come back right this minute and have one those with you and Elizabeth and the babies… oh wow does it look good. I can’t wait to try that frosting… and with that orange cake mmmm. What a beautiful post, and you bless me so, so much! Dad and I can’t wait to return… and it is also been one of my consolations, to know that we were coming back very soon.
    I miss you all so much.
    Love you,
    Mom

• baking chic May 22, 2013 at 12:35 am - Reply

I still feel I can’t thank you enough for your visit mom, your mothering was just the sweetest treat and also knowing that the little boys got their Grammy to love on was just too much! Can’t wait for you and dad to come out. Zane is counting the days it seems like!

LOVE you so much mom!
      ~ Marie

3. Theresa Z May 22, 2013 at 10:50 am - Reply

I am anxious to try baking these. How many did you get from the recipe? You have a lovely website.

• baking chic May 22, 2013 at 1:45 pm - Reply

Thanks Theresa for your comment. The recipe I used said it yields 46 min cupcakes but I got roughly around 2 dozen. I hope your recipe comes out better and you get the 46 :)
      Many blessings to you

4. Elaine @ Cooking to Perfection May 23, 2013 at 8:41 am - Reply

These look fantastic! I love the condensed milk frosting. I’ve never tried adding condensed milk to frosting, but it sounds delicious. And orange rind is the perfect thing to add to brighten it up too. Can’t wait to try these!

• baking chic May 23, 2013 at 3:49 pm - Reply

Elaine, I had never tried condensed milk frosting either! Thanks for your kind comment and I hope you enjoy the recipe!
      Many blessings to you :)

5. Amber May 28, 2013 at 10:56 am - Reply

These look and sound so yummy!! I will definitely have to make some! Your mother’s visit sounds so much fun, I’m glad she will be coming again soon!

• baking chic June 5, 2013 at 2:48 pm - Reply

Hi Amber!
      Miss you so much, and love hearing from you. I will be visiting AZ in 2 weeks which makes me feel a lot closer to you! I will be looking for your pins on Pinterest being that I will have a better internet availability. And yes I think you will enjoy these cupcakes, they are so cute!

6. Kristen June 13, 2013 at 4:32 pm - Reply

Did you use fresh grated orange rind, or would McCormick orange peel work?

• baking chic June 13, 2013 at 9:56 pm - Reply

Hi Kristen,
      Yes I did use fresh orange rind, but I am sure the McCormick peel will work just fine! Best wishes for your cakes!